Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Inspired Recipes for Picnics (and more)


I'm a huge fan of Mark Bittman, aka "The Minimalist" at the New York Times, so when I went looking for healthy lunch and snack ideas, his Times web page was my first stop.

I found an abundance of helpful ideas, but my favorite list of easy recipes that work well with Little Lunch Boxes was "101 20-Minute Dished for Inspired Picnics." Curried egg salad, pesto chicken rolls, grapes with feta cheese, beet salad....the list goes on and it's all fabulous.

Today I took my Little Lunch Box out to the beach where my grandpa used to surf to commemorate the one-year anniversary of my grandma's death. I packed some almonds and whole wheat pita bread in the bottom container; hummus and celery in the top; and beet salad (from Bittman's list) in a separate glass bowl with a lid (because beets are messy!). It was a perfect little lunch for one and a lovely way to remember my grandma.

This is me today at the beach. Not the best picture, but at least you know who's talking to you now.

No comments:

Post a Comment